Thursday, November 4, 2010

Training Plan for Nov 4 to Nov 7

Modified from a sample by Robin Sallie on her blog 'Raising K9'. Robin, if you mind me using your setup, please let me know!

Not nearly as good-looking as BZ Training's Weekly Training Plan, but much easier for me to follow, define what needs work, and also, how to keep track! Yay!

Find-the-Hand Game - 40 times per day in 2 sessions (20 treats each). Objective is for Luna to find my hand wherever it is and place the dumbbell in my hand.

Name Game - 40 times per day in 2 sessions (20 treats each). Objective is to get Luna to look at me, NOT walk toward me, upon hearing her 'name'. As the name Luna is something I reflexively use for all kinds of things not necessarily good, I'll use the word 'Wijffie' instead. So, hearing 'Wijffie!' means to Look at Mom.

Come Game - 60 times per day in 3 sessions (30 treats each). Objective is for Luna to run toward a treat I toss away from me, then turn and run back to me without any prompting on my part. When she is on her way to me, I will drop another treat between my feet for her to eat. She'll be clicked for arriving at my feet.

Leash - 40 times per day in 2 sessions (20 treats each). Objective is for Luna to move into leash pressure on her neck, thus creating a Loose Leash. Also, put a signal of some kind on your leash, 30cm from the handle. This part of the leash must NEVER be touched by the dog - ie. remain loose at all times. When I cannot be consistent about a loose leash, I will walk her on a harness!

Handling/Grooming - 3 sessions per week (15 treats per session). Objective is for Luna to be comfortable and welcoming of a toothbrush moving in her mouth.

Grab Game - 3 sessions per week (15 treats per session). Objective is for Luna to be comfortable with being grabbed all over her body.

KEEPING TRACK
For record-keeping I will use the following style (note that this is an example):


'Name of Behaviour'   dd mmm yy
Session 1 (1)_________________
1.                          11.
2.                          12.
3.                          13.
4.                          14.
5.                          15.
6.                          16.
7.                          17.
8.                          18.
9.                          19.
10.                        20.

Between quotes ‘’ is the name of what we are working on.

dd mmm yy is the date, eg. 4 Nov ’10.

I will mark each successful (meets the criteria outlined in the Training Plan) trial with a / and each unsuccessful trial with an X.

The number between brackets (1) is where the total number of training sessions for this behaviour is recorded. So, for example, this could be Session 1 of the day and Session (5) in total.

At the start of each day I will write out these record sheets for all sessions of daily behaviours, and add all sessions of weekly behaviours when necessary. Goal is to become reliable MYSELF in passing all these sessions day after day, week after week.

Each Monday, I will write out a new Training Plan for the following week. In it, I will define my criteria of success for that week. This means that for that week, I will be measuring success by how often Luna is able to match the criteria I’ve set for that week. If she doesn’t reach above 70% successful within that week, I will lower the criteria for the next week. I will not set higher criteria until Luna is at least 90% successful on all sessions for a behaviour on the 7th day.

As I have started this first Training Plan on Thursday, we will be doing the 3x week sessions on Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment