Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Whoo-hoo! We have a Whistle Sit!

Today on our morning walk, I asked for a lot of whistle Sits. They would go like this; Whistle Sit cue, Luna'd turn and start towards me (intending to Sit in Front), I'd immediately follow with the Hand Signal Sit, and she'd stop and Sit where she was. I consistently repeated this when she was a good way out in front of me.

At about 3/4 of our walk, I saw that she was beginning to anticipate the Hand Signal after the Whistle. So, I took a chance; 'Can you Sit where you are on the Whistle alone?' YES, she could! Whoo-hoo! Big party!

I repeated that two more times, for a total of 3 Sits in place on the Whistle cue alone, and each one got better and faster! C/T for me remembering to stop after the 3rd successful trial. ;-)

Obviously we'll be practicing this a lot more, and when she's nice and solid on the Whistle Sit, I'll start mixing it up with the Whistle Recall, so that she learns to really listen and discriminate between the two sounds. I'm confident she'll nail it, and then we're all set for the Gundog training week in January!

I use the same whistle, an Acme 211,5 for both cues; Sit is 'Piew!' and Come is 'Fuuut-Fuuut!'

Luna, you rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment